Saturday, October 01, 2005

Divergent

If you told me seven, eight years ago that in the distant future, I will get to play tourist with a gal I was quite smitten with then, I would have grabbed it with both hands and made various deductions about how things had turned out between her and me. Let's call the girl 苛. And seven, eight years later, i.e. now, after finding out how things had panned out, I would be laughing my head off.

As it turned out, she has gotten married and is staying with her in-laws (I never thought she could tolerate that, but she is). Her hubby is here on business and she came over for a short tour. We haven't met for years now and one of her first comments upon meeting up was how I (physically) never seem to change (Everyone says that, so much so I am sceptical about it now.). We met in town and ended up trapped in the crowds because the local AFL (one of a FEW types of football leagues here) team, the Sydney Swans, was holding some victory parade after winning the league. Tough luck. So we beat a hasty retreat and ended up taking a train north to Milson's Point. There, we spent the afternoon strolling around with a short detour into Luna Park.

We seemed to have chatted for a long time, but afterward, it felt like we've never spoken at all. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed her company. It's just that I am quite surprised I no longer feel any attraction for her whatsoever. Not even that mere physical attraction between a guy and gal. Ok, I know she is married. That's not my point. My point is we've taken such divergent paths in those spanning years that any lingering attraction I've felt for her has been so totally obliterated. It's a strange, and somewhat bittersweet, feeling to realise that.

What's more, her description of married life isn't something I'll look forward to if all married life was such. But of course, I am sure it isn't.

Oh, and by the way, Happy Children's Day, 慧.

181 days to go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home