Wednesday, October 26, 2005

My green bag

This is my green bag. I had mentioned it quite some time back.I've been using it since August 2003. That's more than 2 years now. I am in Sydney for about 8-9 months or around 36 weeks a year. Each week, I go grocery shopping twice (at least). Assuming I need two plastic bags (the green bag is very big, equivalent to two plastic bags' capacity) each time I shop, that means I've saved 2 * (36 * 2 + 8) * 2 = 320 plastic bags up to the present point in time.

Now that's a record I am extremely proud of.

As you can see from the pic above, my green bag is well-used and a bit worn out. I fully intend to bring it back to Singapore with me next year.

Akan Datang: Calling home

156 days to go.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our NTUC and cold storage are actually SELLING their version of the green bags. Why can't they just give out a free one for every $50 or $100 spend? Or exchange 100 plastic bags for one green bag. I just don't understand. So much for wanting to be a greener city.

There are just so much plastic bags after every grocery shopping spree and i always have to fold them neatly before keeping them in a box.

ginger_ale

Wed Oct 26, 10:45:00 am 2005  
Blogger Acey Deucey said...

Hello again, gingle_ale!

The green bags over here are actually not free too. When it was introduced, they cost AU$2 and I was one of the first to get one. *Grin*

The price has dropped since. I think they're now about AU$1 a piece.

And there has been considerable debate over here on how green these bags actually are, e.g.

http://smh.com.au/news/environment/how-green-is-your-bag/2005/04/24/1114281452076.html

My stance is, if we all make an effort to use the green bags, instead of buying them as some fashion statement or passing fad, we can all make a huge difference.

Wed Oct 26, 10:54:00 am 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home