Thursday, August 25, 2005

"Sleepless" in Sydney

I sleep less over here. Not by much, but it builds up slowly and surely.

Back home, I usually go to bed after 12 and wake up just before 8. So that's around 7.5 hours. Over here, I climb into bed around 12, can't fall asleep until 1.5-2 hours later and wake up at 9. And sometimes, I will wake up in the middle of the night and waste another hour getting back to sleep. So that's around 6.5 to 7 hours of sleep over here.

I'm the kind of person who needs my full quota of sleep to function fully. So that half an hour daily difference builds up over the semester and really bites into my effectiveness at work.

This semester though, it has made its presence felt earlier than expected. I usually feel it around 2 months after coming back. This time round, I am feeling it NOW, i.e. only a month since flying back. This is not good, especially with my exam coming up.

Everytime I return home for a break, I will sleep like a log for about a month, not oversleeping but still at my usual daily quota of 8 hours, before I recover fully from all that sleep lost in Sydney. I read somewhere that if one takes more than 15 minutes to fall asleep, then you're suffering from insomnia. Duh.

218 days to go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home