Thursday, January 12, 2006

Dwindling music sources

The last time I was back in Singapore (more than 6 months ago now), I had met up with Ric. He knows rather well, from our uni days together, my music tastes.

I'm one of those ultra difficult to convert but ultimately loyal kind of listener (if successfully converted). Not only that, I am also very picky about the artistes I listen to. As such, it took a long time for me to love the artistes listed in
my profile like I do now. The latest example being 許哲佩.

However, once I get impressed enough to buy just one album by the artiste, I will make it a point to buy out ALL his/her albums. Unfortunately for me, that has meant a recent trend of dwindling new music albums for me to enjoy.
Ric had this to say when we had met up then:

“娶的娶,嫁的嫁,生孩子的生孩子,退休的退休。。。you have no one left to listen to liao.”

For the record,
王菲 is said to have retired, remarried and is with child again. No album since 2003.

那英 has recently become a mum too.
No album since 2002.

There hasn't been any news music-wise from
許茹芸 for quite some time, her last album being released in 2004. I think she did some 舞臺劇 last year.

許哲佩... well, she only cut that one and only album way back in 2001. She has since gone back to writing songs.

譚詠麟 has been semi-retired for a long long time, although he is still producing the occasional album. The latest being this (carries a song with 伍佰). Fan fodder I suppose (but I still buy it!).

林子祥 is happily married (to 叶倩文 if you might recall) and has been retired (except for the occasional concert) for some time. No album since 2001.

Which leaves just 蔡健雅 who is still cutting albums on a more or less regular basis now. *Big Sigh*

So Tanya, whatever you do, don't retire/marry/have a child yet, can?

Dan, Stef and myself were listening and re-listening to
林子祥's raucous song, 花街70號, in his car the other day (before they had left for Shanghai, of course). It's such a provocative song with a not oft seen theme (of extreme jealousy). Dan was reminiscing on its second spin,

"You know, singers these days lack their own individual characteristic. Listen to singer A and then to singer B, you won't be able to tell them apart."

Akan Datang: 3 strikes

78 days to go.

4 Comments:

Blogger ChroniclesofChaos said...

Ok... here is my lengthy two cents worth...

I adore Tanya's Wu Di Dong although I do not appreciate her personality & character in person. Her talent, it seems, lie in melody composition more than lyrical.

Na Ying- There is one particular song I'm still searching for rt now. I didn't manage to get the title of the song but I did see the MTV two days ago.

Others of whom I'm in awe for their composition and lyrical strengths are Tao Ze, Wang Li Hong and Zhou Chuan Xiong. Tao Ze being more real and earthy to me btw. His personality to date, is flawless.

As for Stephanie Sun, though she has neither, the songs she is given most times, catch me right under the gut.

There are tonnes out there who are more than just candy fluff I guess, it just takes time to really listen and appreciate them for their abilities.

Thu Jan 12, 01:14:00 pm 2006  
Blogger Acey Deucey said...

My favourite Tanya album is "I Do Believe", but my favourite song of hers is "夜盲症" from the 陌生人 album.

The singers these days do not hold my attention long enough for me to want to check them out.

But actually, my all-time favourite singer is 許茹芸. Such a clean voice. Pity no album liao. *Sob*

Thu Jan 12, 01:20:00 pm 2006  
Blogger ChroniclesofChaos said...

Change is always essential for growth.

And humans are mostly resistant to change, myself included.

For the times I'm human anyways.

Thu Jan 12, 02:15:00 pm 2006  
Blogger Acey Deucey said...

Me not resistant to change.

Me just don't like to satisfice.

Thu Jan 12, 02:18:00 pm 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home