Friday, August 26, 2005

Hearing myself

There are some days over here when I don't hear my own voice at all. Yes, that's right. I don't hear myself for 24 hours or more.

These are the days when I don't have to go to the university, don't have any groceries to buy, somehow don't meet my housemate (yeah, it sounds crazy, but it happens), don't meet my landlord (he stays somewhere else) and don't call home. And oh, I don't have the habit of talking to myself. Any such talking takes place in the head, and remains unspoken.

So it feels kindda weird when I eventually make an audible sound with my voicebox. I would be surprised by my own voice!

An ex-housemate of mine (also a Singaporean friend) cannot tahan not talking for a sustained period of time. I recall that there was a day when I had to be in school for the entire day and returned to the apartment only at night. She confided in me she hadn't spoken for most of that day and by late afternoon felt absolutely terrible. To remedy that, she called home and cried over the phone whilst talking to her mum! Upon hearing my reply that the average day for me was just like that before she moved in, she expressed surprise at how I could survive such an existance. *Shrug*

I'm a survivor?

Now you start to realise why I started this blog and why I am counting down so fervently.

217 days to go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home