Thursday, November 03, 2005

Mystery of the missing letter box key

Early last week, the letter boxes for my block of apartments were changed. The old ones did not have locks and were really dirty; I've always dreaded putting my hand into it. So when I saw those spanking new letter boxes last week, with built-in locks too, I felt a certain amount of relief.

Until I asked Jim, my landlord, for the keys to it.

He paraphrased the same question back to me.

"Didn't they give you the keys?"

"Erm... no."

"Well, they didn't give me any either. You'd think they'll give us the keys BEFORE or JUST AFTER they've installed the letter boxes, wouldn't you? How silly can they get?"

*Shrug* and I had to push the words "It can only happen in Australia." back down my throat.

"Never mind, I'll investigate."

Then I received this e-mail from Jim yesterday:

From: Jim

To: Acey Deucey
Date: Wed 02/11/2005 12:15 PM GMT+08:00
Subject: Letter box key - Unit #

I have been told the key to the letter box # is inside the letter box, I have also been told you can put your hand inside the letter box to retrieve? you may want to try and let me know, if not I will investigate on Thursday (3rd Nov.) when I come around to the unit.


It can only happen in Australia, I tell you, it can only happen in Australia...

148 days to go.

P.S. And here's to wishing Selamat Hari Raya Puasa to my Malay friends, especially Z.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL....perhaps u could take a photo of the letter box to see if one can really put in the hand to retrieve the keys... hahahhahha
but if the hand can go in? what's the point of having it locked? as good as just having pigeon holes. :P

gingle_ale

Thu Nov 03, 10:22:00 am 2005  
Blogger Acey Deucey said...

Actually, Jim and I just tried to fish it out with our hands. Didn't work; Slot too small.

Now he is thinking along the lines of a clothes hanger or some stick with double-sided tape on one end.

I'll see if I can get my hands on a digital camera (probably Dan) to take a pic to post it here. *Grin*

Thu Nov 03, 10:33:00 am 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home