Thursday, January 19, 2006

Way out

I laid the map down on the gravel. Then I removed the candle from my miner's hat to pore over the map slowly. I can't be too far away from the exit of the mine now. Perspiration continued to pour out of every pore of my body, making every inch of my skin clammy. My shirt was soaked through. For comfort, I decided to take it off whilst still looking the map over. Then I took off my jeans as well. I need to be patient, I told myself, or I would never get out of here.

The silence as I studied the map was broken by sounds of gravel shifting, seemingly heading towards me from behind. I turned around and waited for it to take form. It was a woman. When she saw me, she looked both relieved and apprehensive. I could tell she had been crying and was still visibly shaking.

Perhaps she had seen my candle light in a distance and followed it to me. Unfortunately, we didn't speak the same languages, so we couldn't communicate effectively. Then realising my state of semi-undress, I got up, palmed the signal for her to wait and turned around to put my jeans back on again.


She's obviously lost as well. How she got into such a predicament, I guess I will never know. But that is not of any importance. I pointed to the map, then to the candle, and finally made the hand signs of two people walking together. Some of her apprehension left as she understood my point. She nodded and squatted down next to me to look at the map.

I pointed to where I think we were as did she. Via hand signals, we agreed upon a preliminary plan to tackle this maze of a mine. That done, she broke into a smile. I wiped the half-dried tears off her cheeks and took her hand in mine. Even though it was damp with perspiration and tears and soiled with dirt, as was mine.

But we didn't mind.

71 days to go.

2 Comments:

Blogger Little Miss Drinkalot said...

Fiction or fact?

Thu Jan 19, 08:41:00 pm 2006  
Blogger Acey Deucey said...

Half of each, I suppose.

Thu Jan 19, 08:52:00 pm 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home