Saturday, April 15, 2006

Sick chicken

Mid-autumn. Now is the time when a great variety of clothing thickness can be observed on the streets.

I have always been one of the early birds to dig out my winter clothing and putting them to good use. 今年也不例外。Since the
return from the Blue Mountains, I have been in three layers of clothing, two t-shirts (or equivalent) and one coat, whenever I am out and about.

Therein lies a little awkwardness for me.

You see, there is quite a number of Australians still hanging onto their summer inclinations. It is not uncommon to see Aussies in sleeveless t-shirts or singlets, shorts and slippers (they're called thongs here) on the streets. And they are NOT exercising, just going about their daily routine. This happens even in the evenings when the temperature takes a further dip.


And then, here I am, in full winter battle order, walking past them with my hands deeply buried in my coat pockets. The contrast is so big, I get self-conscious about it. Of course, there are other people like me, all togged in winter wear. Some even have their beenies and scarves out.

Still, I can't help but wonder what makes those "summerly" people so "healthy". We used to joke amongst ourselves that it makes us seem like some weakling or sick chicken.

2 Comments:

Blogger Little Miss Drinkalot said...

My theory: My veins are very near the surface of my skin, therefore I lose heat quicker.

Sun Apr 16, 03:18:00 am 2006  
Blogger Acey Deucey said...

That's a new one. Heh.

Sun Apr 16, 06:21:00 am 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home