Friday, December 16, 2005

Australian and Singaporean doctors

So I had to redo everything for my visa extension. Filling forms, filling lots of forms, medical examination, X-ray, the whole works.

I had gotten the medical examination done a couple of days back. It was a little surprising to find out that they had an organisation set up specially for visa application related medical examinations. But for the kind of tests I was put through, it was costly. But then, everything in Sydney is costly. As Jim had put it succinctly, "it's just another money-making machine by the government".

Another thing that surprised me was this organisation's efficiency. Everything was over in about an hour. Maybe that's why they had set up this organisation to cater for visa application medical examinations only.

But what really caught my attention was the doctors' professionalism. Or at least the one who examined me impressed me enough with his professionalism. He was very careful and unharried in his examinations and put in just the right amount of personal touch to put me at ease. I suppose he must be very sian of saying and doing the same things for everyone everyday, but it certainly did not show. This latter point most definitely does not apply for their Singaporean counterparts; Most of the Singaporean doctors I've seen seem to be in a hurry and can't wait to get things over and done with.

No offence, Singaporean docs, but I feel the Australian ones are more professional.

Incidentally, that was the first time I have seen a doctor over here. Yes, I hadn't seen a doctor here for almost three years. I hardly, if ever, fall ill when I'm in Sydney. Maybe it is the weather. But I like to think it is my self-defence mechanism. I know I am alone here and it'll really suck to be sick with nobody to at least check on me.

105 days to go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home