Monday, February 06, 2006

Pop quiz answers

Alright, it has been two weeks. Here are the answers as well as whether my second regular reader had gotten each correct (in brackets):

i) wilco: will comply (correct)

ii) pancake: to land, e.g. permission to pancake = permission to land (wrong)

iii) serviceable: capable of service in war (wrong)

iv) scratch: destroyed, e.g. scratch one flat-top = one aircraft carrier destroyed (wrong)

v) ack ack: anti-aircraft gunfire (correct)

vi) meatball: any Japanese warplane, due to the Japanese warplanes' red ball insignia's likeness to the meatballs served in the US canteens (very very wrong)

vii) buster: maximum normal power, i.e. without using emergency power sources (I'll be kind and give you 1/2 correct, key word is "normal", and no, I don't want to know)

viii) Zeke: another name for the Japanese Zero, a famous Japanese fighter of WWII (correct)

ix) wizard: very good or excellent, often used in the Royal Air Force (correct and you're most welcome)

x) scuttlebutt: rumours (correct. During WWII, there wasn't a US Air Force yet. The US Army, Navy and Marine Corp all had their own aviation sections. So naturally, US Navy and Marine aviators used naval terms in their daily talk as well.)

So my dear second reader, you've scored 5.5 out of 10. A commendable effort.

And to the other reader who had tried 5 questions, you've got 4 out of 5 correct!

Akan Datang: Welsh wizard


53 days to go.

6 Comments:

Blogger ChroniclesofChaos said...

Nope. Refuse to admit the answers were "WRONG" like you said.

There are differing meanings to the words you gave, so if you were to suss around the web, you will find the terms aren't wrong.

The key to this quiz wasn't emphasised on WWII...

Don't care... I'm right...

Wed Feb 08, 11:26:00 am 2006  
Blogger ChroniclesofChaos said...

REPEAT DON'T CARE... I AM RIGHT.

Wed Feb 08, 11:27:00 am 2006  
Blogger Acey Deucey said...

My friend, I refer you back to my original post. I had said "All are WWII aviation related terms." Can't say I didn't emphasize that it is WWII related, can you?

Ha ha ha...

Wed Feb 08, 11:37:00 am 2006  
Blogger Acey Deucey said...

Oh, and I hope you will like the "prize". *Big Grin*

Wed Feb 08, 01:04:00 pm 2006  
Blogger ChroniclesofChaos said...

What prize?

The prize I already received?
Or another that's on the way? *Quirks eyebrows*

hahahhaha

Wed Feb 08, 05:49:00 pm 2006  
Blogger Acey Deucey said...

Of course the one you already received. Tsk tsk tsk...

Wed Feb 08, 06:03:00 pm 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home