Friday, March 24, 2006

Convoluted junior

Coincidences have a strange way of timing themselves. I've recently "met" three juniors from my profession. All within the space of a fortnight.

Two of them had found me via my blog. One of these two is a Singaporean too. *Grin*

The third was introduced to me in person in a rather roundabout manner. You see, she is my ex-housemate's wife's ex-colleague's new housemate. No, I am not making this up. Allow me to explain.


The ex-housemate I am talking about here is Dan, so the wife is of course Stef. She had a colleague, also from China, who has just left her department. Despite that, they (actually, more like we, since I am included) still meet up regularly on weekends for fun and games. At around the same time, she also moved to a new apartment and would you have it, her new housemate is an actuarial undergraduate studying in the same university.

Somehow, they've mentioned me to her and she was keen to meet me (I suspect they exaggerated some facts), the "granddad" student. And once we met, she started bombarding me with questions on all things actuarial. I was able to reply to them all and even offer more, because I have a close friend in the line now working in Beijing. He fills me in on the actuarial line in China occasionally and I was able to pass on this information to her. She also seemed to be in awe of me, most probably because I "only" (key punctuation!) have two papers to go. It was a strange feeling having someone confess to being envious of you on the first meeting.


Oh, and I wasn't exaggerating about being a "granddad" student. She is a full decade my junior, both in age and in the exams. Like most new entrants to the line, she seemed to be in a big hurry to complete the exams. After I told her about my exams history (read failures) and some of the horror stories I've heard of, she became much more subdued. But I believe I painted a realistic enough picture of the profession for her. Hopefully, she will be able to make a more informed decision when she graduates.

The common denominator of all three chance "meetings" was, I was able to offer a little bit of help in my own puny way. That left behind a residual feel-good feeling. Enough to make me want to write about it.

21 days to go.

20 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Acey,

Now's your big chance man... [wink wink]...what are you waiting for liao??? Junior some more - so you got plenty of things in common...

Now you can add higher priorities to your life!

[just joking - don't be angry yah]

CM

Fri Mar 24, 08:30:00 am 2006  
Blogger Acey Deucey said...

I'd be a little rude and say,

"You've not read my earlier posts, have you?"

No, nothing to be angry about. As a matter of fact, I'm always happy to receive comments from readers.

Fri Mar 24, 08:40:00 am 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wah, friend..

You write quite extensively-lor... and I didn't have time to go through each one of your posts-lor...

Gimme some hints-mah...I am guessing cos she's not a Singaporean...since you are definitely looking back to going back home...

CM

Fri Mar 24, 08:50:00 am 2006  
Blogger Acey Deucey said...

Well, I'll be really irritating and say,

"You have all the time in the world, since I am not deleting my blog after the 15th April."

But I will add I am single now.

Fri Mar 24, 08:55:00 am 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok Mr. Wise Guy,

Lemme have a crack at your blog some time later

:))

Fri Mar 24, 09:06:00 am 2006  
Blogger Acey Deucey said...

Glad you're not offended.

And remember, studies first, reading blog (distant) last.

Fri Mar 24, 09:09:00 am 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hehe...

Shouldn't it be

1. Girls first
2. Party second
3. Studies third
4. Reading blog [last?]

That's my dream plan ... but it always turns out to be

1. No girls [to kau]
2. No money [to party]
3. Work first [cos boss pressure]
4. Studies second
5. Reading blog third.

Sigh!!! :((

Fri Mar 24, 09:24:00 am 2006  
Blogger Acey Deucey said...

HA HA HA...

I'm now retreating into my air-raid shelter and will watch with interest what my female readers has to say (if anything) about this.

Fri Mar 24, 09:29:00 am 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

CM

perhaps u should just learn from Acey..study hard and gals will just flock to you. :P

ginger_ale

Fri Mar 24, 09:58:00 am 2006  
Blogger Acey Deucey said...

I have to re-qualify that.

Girls do not, I repeat, do NOT, flock to me.

But I do study hard. :P

Fri Mar 24, 10:00:00 am 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Ginger,

That's what my parents told me.... I studied so hard in College until I didn't have time to go partying... and look at me now...still single....

So speaking from experience, what you say is definitely NOT true... As validated by Acey experience...

Maybe you mistyped....

"...party hard and girls will flock to you..."

Haha :))

CM

Fri Mar 24, 10:21:00 am 2006  
Blogger Acey Deucey said...

*Bombers droning overhead*

Acey back hiding in air-raid shelter with tin hat strapped tightly on, though he can't help but look out...

Fri Mar 24, 10:31:00 am 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's actually.. study hard.. so that can earn lotsa of money and then the gals will appear

anyhow.. no gals, no headache & no heartache (vice versa)

ginger_ale

Fri Mar 24, 10:32:00 am 2006  
Blogger Acey Deucey said...

In actuarial terms, we might call that "anti-selection". Hee hee...

Fri Mar 24, 10:34:00 am 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ginger,

Where are you from???

Girls now can earn big bucks on their own... at least in Malaysia anyway.. so they don't go for $$$ or guys that are stable.

They want exciting good looking hunks that can give them a good time and entertain them as well. As for $$$, that's secondary cos' they can earn enough...

So...to get loads of girls to flock to you is:

1. Either work out a lot to get a great looking body [unless you are blessed like Acey with a body that burns off fat faster than a Ferrari even though all he does is eat and study :)) ]

2. Go for humour and dating classes to charm the hats of girls [and sweet talk them as well]

3. Make sure you have plenty of time and patience cos girls takes some time to warm up to you...

Hehe - Acey make some space for me in the air raid shelter... I think I hear some bombers coming my way olredi :))

Gah... running off to the shelter right now!!!

Fri Mar 24, 10:51:00 am 2006  
Blogger Acey Deucey said...

CM, 不要害我 leh. The bombing is going to be targetting you and you only. I am an innocent bystander in this. Why pick my air raid shelter?

*Acey barricades air-raid shelter entrance*

Good luck, my friend. :P

Fri Mar 24, 10:58:00 am 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahahaaaa...don't you know that money is never enough? If we manage to hook up a loaded one, we are a step closer to being a Tai-Tai. how nice it is to keep your own salary and everything guys pay. buahahhahahhahha

oh.. there's no senes of security being with good looking, great body hunks. they are good for bringing them out to gal's outing, just to show off. :P

ginger_ale

Fri Mar 24, 11:00:00 am 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bangs on Acey door...

"Let me in you #&&@^&(I&....."

[Commentary]
Thinks are starting to look glum for our anti-Hero after being betrayed by Acey...

CM frantically starts running to the next nearest shelter....

Fri Mar 24, 11:03:00 am 2006  
Blogger Acey Deucey said...

I'm leaving you guys to your own devices. Need to get supplies (read grocery shopping).

Just remember whatever you do, this blog is PG-rated.

Fri Mar 24, 11:16:00 am 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ginger,

Wah... very "yeen sat" hor... What about LUV & Romance and all that....?

Ask guys to pay for everything??? What is yours is mine and what is mine is mine...gah.. don't scare Acey-lar... No wonder he doesn't want to get married...

Good looking can be also loyal-mah...

Hah... Now I know you must not be young anymore cos sudah matang... no more talk about romance... $$$ talks hehe

[CM ducks just in time to avoid the big cream pie heading his way]

:))

Mon Mar 27, 03:25:00 pm 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home