Saturday, April 15, 2006

<金盆洗手>

(Source of pic: Herttoniemi Manor)

I had started writing up this post way back in January. I've been editing and adding to it ever so frequently, I've lost count. It's because everytime I touch this post, the emotions will start to build, forcing me to stop soon after. Good thing I started it early. Here goes...

...but let's pop some champagne first (Thanks, Jade, for these pics)...
And so, we've come to the end. In a couple of hours' time, I will be on a plane jetting home. My blog address is already in Dan, Stef and Jim's mailbox. It's part of my farewell present to them.

Before I say my farewells to you guys as well, allow me to self-indulge a bit more...

Ladies and gentlemen, this is where it all happens. Note the two phone books propping up my laptop to a more comfortable level for me (because I am very tall) and the Peanuts mousepad. If you look carefully, you might spot my Papermate Silhouette mechanical pencil. Note also on the left, the wireless broadband modem and the corner of my bed.


The past three years have been quite a trip of self-discovery. Here is a non-exhaustive list:


i) 我不怕孤單,但蠻害怕寂寞的。

ii) 我好奇心雖然有,但不夠“雄厚”,倒置我對研究的熱忱忽冷忽熱。這行不適合我。

iii) 但肯定的是,精算是我要走的路。這個,我從十八嵗時就曉得了。


iv) 我的寫作天份實在有限。我不是假謙虛。


v) 我比想象中還疼愛我的外甥女。


vi) 難然想家,但我不後悔走了這趟三年的悉尼路程。


...and let's enjoy some fried chicken too (Thanks, CM)...




And of course, some words to the main protagonists of this blog:

To Dan and Stef:

Thank you for all the weekends (and some weekdays too!) we've spent together. What I've enjoyed most about your company is not the movies. Not the "Xbox-ing". Not the field trips. Not the food. But rather, it's the ongoing bantering with the two of you and sometimes, between the two of you.

You guys know that I hate travelling, but if the opportunity ever arises, I will pay you guys a visit in Shanghai. But better if you guys can come over to Singapore lah.


To Jim:

Thank you for all the little bits and pieces of kindness and care you've shown me in the 2 years 10 months that I've stayed with you. Thursday is my most looked forward to day of the week, simply because it is the day you drop by to clean the apartment. I will miss our weekly chats. At times, you've felt like half a father to me.


I wish you and your family all the very best, especially your grandson. And yes, if ever I do get married, you'll be one of the first to be informed! If you ever find time to read through this blog, you'll probably need to enlist the help of your wife to sieve through the posts that are written in chinese. You have my permission to letting her read it.


To my boss:

Who unfortunately will not get to read this because I am not sending you the address (but to whom I've said basically the same things when I had bade you farewell yesterday). You've been more of a friend than a boss at times. I value all the advice you've given me, which has brought about the fruits of a publication (already at the publishers) and another two working papers.


To Le Tissier, 秋 and Ah Gee:

Just welcome me home when I'm back. *Grin* All the catching up will happen then. See you guys this evening at the airport.


To :

I'm glad we've come full circle. Most of all, I'm glad to hear you're doing fine.


To :

You've had a most paradoxical and profound effect on my perspective of life. Despite that, I hope you will never ever find this blog. 衷心地祝福妳生活美滿。


To my family, especially 慧:

Gu gu快到家了!來臨的星期一就配妳玩shape shape畫畫,gai gai,搭MRT,接妳下課跟ma ma去海邊吃mum mum。。。 或許有一天,等妳長大后,gu gu會把這個網址送給妳當生日禮物,讓妳回味回味一下童年時光。


Special thanks to UFM100.3. Without an almost constant link to home, I would probably have gone crazy already.


And finally, to my readers:

To my three pioneer readers, namely Ginger_ale,
Chronicles of Chaos and Little Miss Drinkalot:

妳們帶給我的安慰是我無法形容的。But I'll still try...

Ginger_ale, you allowed me to move from an apparent soliloquy to a two-way exchange. That gave me immense satisfaction. For that, thank you.

Chronicles of Chaos, I never expected to become such close friends with a fellow blogger. But I did. 希望妳儘快走出黑暗吧,朋友。I'm saving up for your wedding ang pow liao. *Grin*

Little Miss Drinkalot, heh... this is a little embarrassing to say. But to have a blogger whom I really enjoy reading read my own blog feels rather flattering. I hoped you've enjoyed what you've read here as much as I've enjoyed reading yours. My little half-promised farewell gift to you is in your mailbox. Also, 希望妳早日找到屬於妳自己的幸福!

Special mentions too for two "late-comer" readers, CM and Jade. I didn't expect to know anyone from the actuarial profession via my blog, so your first e-mails and comments took me totally by surprise. Despite the end of my blogging days, we will keep in touch via e-mail. Heh, maybe we'll even get the chance to fly to UK together should we qualify at the same time!

...and we finish off with some cookie burgers and more champagne (Thanks, Ginger_ale)...


Lastly, some things I want to do immediately upon reaching home:

i) If you happen to be at Changi Airport this evening and notice a crazy scrawny-looking guy kissing the tarmac, that'll be me.

ii) Food. Food. Food.

iii) Catch up on my sleep.


Ok, that's all I have to say. Now pardon me whilst I do my own version of "Cantona".

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahaha.. your 'golden' basin looks more like a 'bronze' basin!
anyway, if you decide to start another new blog, do email me the address hor! hope you wun be as secretive! :)
Thanks for all the daily reads since i discovered your blog through LMD and your friendship since our email exchanges. Really appreciate all the help you have given me. Thanks and keep in touch! :)
*burp* Thanks for the yummy food and the champagne *hick*

Sat Apr 15, 02:58:00 pm 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I only started reading your blog less than 2 weeks ago through LMD. I've completed every single entry. =)

Welcome home!

Sat Apr 15, 07:36:00 pm 2006  
Blogger Acey Deucey said...

You're most welcome, Jade. Like I like to say, 同行如果不幫同行,那還有誰幫我們呢?

k, you mean you've read everything from 31st July till 15th April? Wow, I am honoured. *Grin*

Sun Apr 16, 12:11:00 am 2006  
Blogger Acey Deucey said...

I just saw my second regular reader's goodbye post to me. So essentially, this comment is to self-advertise a bit. :P

Sun Apr 16, 07:08:00 am 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so u reach back Singapore safe and sound yet?

did Jade's goons get ya?

CM

:)

Happy landing in Singapore and Happy Studying tomorrow!

CM

Sun Apr 16, 09:28:00 pm 2006  
Blogger Acey Deucey said...

Nay, I spotted some shady looking characters at the airport, all wearing Jade pendents and warned my bodyguards to be on the alert.

I got home safe in one piece. *Grin*

Mon Apr 17, 08:00:00 am 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ac,

Hehe... studying hard today?

Guess there's so much for you too catch up back in Singapore....

Glad you got back in one piece...esp. lugging so much moolah around...

Reminds me of my ex-Selangor MB who was caught in Australia with loads of moolah :))

Hehe...no more posts??? And here I thought you were going to reveal your secret ID.

CM

CM

Mon Apr 17, 09:07:00 pm 2006  
Blogger Acey Deucey said...

Let me repeat what I said, CM,

"Ah, here's something to whet your appetites, my friends. One of those four posts in hand is titled "Who Acey Deucey is"."

You can find that post below this current one. So I have not lied.

Tue Apr 18, 07:29:00 am 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I have read that posts.

Strictly speaking, those are only the attributes of Ac.

Since these attributes are not solely your domain, it would not be sufficient to distinguish you from another person.

CM

Tue Apr 18, 10:34:00 am 2006  
Blogger Acey Deucey said...

My point is, I did not say I will reveal my identity. I merely said there was going to be a post titled "Who Acey Deucey is".

Tue Apr 18, 01:03:00 pm 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmph!!!

The post should be retitled

"What are the attributes of Acey Deucey then?"

Talk about a huge let down. That's "false advertising" my friend.

:)

CM

Tue Apr 18, 04:27:00 pm 2006  
Blogger Ang Ku Kueh said...

congrats, man, on everything! u like very cool abt the paper, hahaha, i know many who will be screaming like nuts if their papers got accepted. your cheena is not 'limited', as you have said (alhotugh i could be wrong in interpreting there, my cheena so lousy.

Fri May 19, 03:55:00 pm 2006  
Blogger Acey Deucey said...

Heh, thanks for the congratulations, AKK. Well, for me right now, my actuarial exams are streets ahead in terms of importance and priority. Besides, I've already decided I'm not continuing with research. At least not for now. So the publication had very limited impact on me.

Fri May 19, 04:06:00 pm 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey thanks for dropping by... and again!

Yeah, I think its the time pressures that are resulting in half-researched and badly written articles.

Or maybe they're spending their time worrying about bloggers taing over their rice bowl?

Tue Oct 02, 07:08:00 pm 2007  
Blogger QiuQiu said...

Hey sweets, check in www.onlinepasarmalam.blogspot.com Thanks!

Wed Nov 07, 01:01:00 pm 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home